View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
vividracing
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 350Z,370Z,GTR
vividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vividracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr750 View Post
You only need a vacuum pump if you intend on flushing out the entire system and refill it with new oil and r134.

You don't need a vacuum pump to release gas under pressure, there is a simple shrader air valve stem that releases gas on the low side ac charging port, the r134a should be properly reclaimed to avoid release into the environment, the professionals have a system that reclaims the gas and they clean & reuse the old r134a .

If your only recharging the system, you don't need a vacuum pump. If your only recharging a system release of r134a into the environment shouldn't even happen, if done properly, unless your system has a big leak.

The only difference with the professionals with the more elaborate tools, will recharge the AC from the high side, as compared to the home garage method of charging from the low side, for consumer safety.

First thing to do would be to recharge the system with 1 can of r134a leak detector and another can of r134a gas, then run the AC and check for leaks. You can do this for around $30 with autozone products.
I didn't mention needing thousands of dollars worth of tools, I simply said the cost of the tools doesn't justify itself. Like you said, there's plenty of shops that will test and diagnose an A/C system for cheap. However, if you want to PROPERLY work on an A/C system...

The cheapest R134a reclaimer I've seen was like $1500. If you want to get the computerized reclaimer/refill station, you're looking at at least $3k for a cheap entry level unit. Add a decent set of line tools for another $50 (unless you like mangling your lines), and some gauges for like $70. Don't forget the leak detector kit for about $50, a decent thermometer for $15, A/C clutch tool set for like $50, and that should cover most of what you'll ever encounter when working on automotive A/C systems. If all the correct tools are unnecessary, why do shops and dealerships have them?

Your method might work for you but it hasn't worked for me or anyone I know personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessdottie View Post
Well, it seems the foam I had between the CAI and the A/C lines..... well it basically warmed up so much, the CAI rubbed through it and hit the A/C lines.........

Warranty wil not cover BAD DYI on my part..... not I gotta pay up. Lesson for ppl installing Stillen CAI..... DO IT RIGHT!!!!!!!! AND TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE THERE IS NO WAY FOR THE CAI PIPE TO RUB THE A/C TUBES.
That sucks At least you know what the issue is, though.

Rocky @ Vivid ♦ 480.966.3040 x236 ♦ Rocky@vividracing.com
Email, PM, or call me directly for aggressive The370Z.com member pricing!!!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote