Thread: 7AT vs 6MT
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lug
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2006 350Z
Lug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to beholdLug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingaBreadMan View Post
First I want to apologize if this has already been posted. I have noticed plenty of heated discussions over this topic. I never considered opting for the 7AT since I want to make BIG HORSEPOWER (600-700whp). As far as I am aware the 6MT will handle that power more efficiently than the 7AT. With that being said I do know some AT with 600hp. I have noticed 6spd 370z getting more power with bolt-ons and ECU reflashes than 7AT. Are any of you guys with 7AT looking to make big power, or is it more for cruising and convenience? 6MT owners did you make your decision based solely on the immersion of the driving experience? Automatic transmissions are so good now you really don't need Manuals anymore. They hold gears until you are ready to shift and can shift faster than humanly possible. They have even made heel and toe obsolete (SRM). Is there any particular reason why u chose one over the other?
You are thinking of dual clutch transmissions. The 370Z uses a traditional "slush bucket" design but is one of the best executed ones ever. The shift speed on it is arround 500 milliseconds, far better than it's predecessor (or almost any other standard automatic I've ever heard of). Nissan has a dual clutch transmission in the GTR but it costs more than 1/2 a 370Z by itself.