View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
B&W_Evader
Track Member

Drives: slower than before
B&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY Oil Cooler - Oil Pan Heat Sink

I've had hot oil problems like most of the people on this forum. No limp mode yet but I baby it when it gets up to 260. I hate the idea of leaving a quart of dirty oil in the engine every oil change so I looked for something else. Came accross an oil pan spacer. Thought hey, I could coil a pipe in the oil and run radiator fluid through it. But the though, worst case, what it it leaked and I filled the engine up with radiator fluid... That would be "bad".
Then I thought, hey, someone must have a finned oil pan that I could just swap out. But noooooooooooooo, couldn't find one. Found one with fins that's about 1/8" tall but really, is that going to do anything? So I started looking at heat sink extrusions and trying to find the best one for the application. Boned up on my heat transfer calcs when I noticed some of the manufactures had most of the work already done. Had some extrusions quoted but those guys want large quanties or really want to rape you. Really, $750 for 9" of a 12" wide extrusion? F-them. Stumbled accross these guys. I would of thought "what a rip-off" if I hadn't had the first quote.

Heat Sinks - Cool Innovations Inc

Picked up one of the largest one they make for about $300 delivered. Received it last night and started working on it.
B&W_Evader is offline   Reply With Quote