View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Coon-azz
Track Member

Drives: '12 370z Sport DD
Coon-azz will become famous soon enough
Default Installing the Sickspeed Shift Knob on 2012 370z

Being new to this forum and Nissan, I wanted to start with something small. My daughter and I ordered the white 6 speed, manual shift knob from Sickspeed. I'd looked at all the others on the market and we decided to go with the ol' school look this time instead of the titanium heavy shifters. All in all, I have found little advantage other than feel with the weighted shifters over others. I do like some of the industries short throws as they are more precise and less sloppy, if you will for track driving, but also less forgiving..
Since this is my daily driver, I've decided not to worry so much about the shifting feel and put my $ into the exhaust etc later on. At 6 foot, 230 lbs, I am actually comfortable with the current throw of the shifter, but I can't stand the feel of the OEM one. What was R&D thinking? : confused: This weekend, my daughter and I put together a little video to help out on the installation. Please note that I customized my final install by adding a ring from a chrome motorcycle grip we had sitting around. We ended up with this ugly gap between the beautiful new shift knob and the shifter boot. So, off my daughter went looking for something to help fill in the gap. We actually put a rubber grommet around the shift lever with a 1" washer on top of it. The fit directly into the bottom of the chrome sleeve; keeping it flush and tight. We decided that this was a great and unique look so we kept it. We hope the video is helpful for anyone who has never done this before.

Installation video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD2JNE7pEz8&feature

Last edited by Trips; 06-25-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Coon-azz is offline   Reply With Quote