View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
ZCarMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34, 13 F-150
ZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant futureZCarMan has a brilliant future
Default New FIAT 500 Abarth

This story begins with a decision by the Mrs. and myself that the Frontier 4x4 just wasn't making the cut with us. Great truck and all. However, not what we needed for everyday in the metro area.

So we started looking at alternatives for a daily driver in the city. We looked at the typical fuel efficient cars from Nissan such as the Versa, Juke, etc. Also looked at Fords and Mazdas. I own a Mazda 3 and considered the new 3 or even a 2. Then I came across the FIAT Abarth, pronounced "Ah-Bart". This was back in January when rumors were that it was coming to the U.S. So we went and looked at the regular 500 and although the Mrs. thought it was "cute" and all but thankfully she likes a sporty car with some balls of which the 500 has none. The 500 Abarth is not the same as the 500. Think of Abarth as the equivalent to AMG. Guys from MOPAR assisted with developing the suspension modifications and tuning of the engine for the U.S. Significant testing was undertaken to ensure it was ready for the U.S.

The Mrs. and I immediately took a liking to the Abarth and after a short time decided we wanted one. I placed an order for the first U.S. spec model in February and it was built in mid March. It finally arrived last Thursday evening to the dealership and we picked it up that night.

Break-in is just 300 miles for the turbocharged 1.4L Multi-air engine that produces 160BHP and pulls with a max of 170lbs feet of torque. This is double the horse power approximately over the 500, and a 70pct increase in torque. With a weight of approx 2500lbs its a fun little car to throw around and yet drive to and from work in. I emphasize the fun part. We could have went with a Mini Cooper or a GTI as the Mrs. actually owned one in the past. However, this new spicy Italian meatball made us smile because its has attitude. If Jeremy Clarkson likes the Euro Abarth with 135BHP on the track, then the U.S. spec should be great fun both in the city and on the track.

With the purchase price (starting at $22600.00 MSRP) you get included a free day with the Richard Petty Driving Experience. You get to use their Abarths and an instructor to flog it on the track, as the Abarth as sold is a track capable car.

I had the dealer specifically not prep it so that I could do it myself. I did that on Friday evening, then we drove over and joined our local Z group for coffee Saturday and then off to leave the car with the clear bra installer. We are only half way to the 300 mile break in but that will be over next week.

Let me just say that I believe we all purchase a car for a variety of reasons. Many do so for practicality, or because of finances, etc. However, we purchased this vehicle because of two things, a) Fun factor and b) sorta fuel efficient at 28 City / 34 Highway. C.) Fun factor.

If you haven't seen the Abarth before check out Jay Leno reviewing and driving it:

MOPAR and famed Italian manufacturer Magneti Marelli are teaming up to offer performance parts in the U.S. Recently they introduced a prototype Abarth named the "Venom" that featured many of their aftermarket CF parts to lighten it up by 200 pounds.

See the Venom here. Oh yea, Cartrinel Menghia the hot Romanian super model was there for the Abarth unveiling in Vegas too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuEZXLlup6g

Is it for everyone, no. Is it fun for a lot. Absolutely.

For specs/details on the Abarth click the .pdf icon below the photos.

First mod was to replace the rear tailights with blackened trimmed tails.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12_Fiat500Abarth_Specs.pdf (130.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by ZCarMan; 04-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
ZCarMan is offline   Reply With Quote