View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
MacLean
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 GM Nismo # 0445
MacLean has a spectacular aura aboutMacLean has a spectacular aura aboutMacLean has a spectacular aura about

I have heard some dealership do not put premium in the cars that do require it. I know when I bought my G35 several yrs ago the sales guy said you do not need to put premium even though it says it. You will be fine with regular..... I was like WTF.

I took my mom's '11 Acura MDX to the Acura dealership yesterday for service. I started to talk to the guy that sold my parents the MDX & what fuel to use. He was like yeah it does say premium, but regular will work w/o any problems. He said he had a TL that he put 60k miles on it with regular & now has an MDX that has 20k miles with only putting regular gas. He has not have any issues or knocking noise from using regular instead of premium fuel.

I know my mom has had 2 TL's & is own her 3 MDX & only uses regular gas. She has never complained about any knocking noise from the use of regular gas. All Acura's require premium fuel as do BMW, Infiniti, Nissan, Lexus & etc. Oh my gf brother in-law has an Infiniti QX 56 that has 100-125k miles & he only uses regular gas. He has not had any problems of any sort from using regular gas.

I am not a mechanic and I have not done a study, or survey to find out how long would it take before a car that uses premium that is actually getting regular gas will last. I believe it really depends on how you drive the vehicle. If your vehicle has a supercharger or turbo charger, then you better put premium (maybe octane boosters if needed). If you are looking to take your vehicle to the track on the weekends, then you should put premium gas in your vehicle. If you are one of these people that like to go balls to the wall on the freeway, then you should use premium gas. If you are the type of person that only goes b/w 70-80 on freeways, then you could possibly get by with using regular gas (not sure how long).

In the end it is safer to just go with what is recommend (premium) for our vehicles, but it is also up to you as an individual.
MacLean is offline   Reply With Quote