View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #911 (permalink)
Zaggeron
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 370ZR '13 BRZ
Zaggeron is a jewel in the roughZaggeron is a jewel in the roughZaggeron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo2max99 View Post
Motor Trend got a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.9 for the quarter with the BRZ not that it really matters. The MX-5 was slightly quicker at 6.3 and 14.8 for the quarter.

I've driven the new MX-5 and didn't for a second wish it had more power. It's fun being able to run it through the gears without having to constantly look down at the speedo for fear of going to jail / losing your license. More power would just mean you could only open it up in little short burst at a time. 1,2,3.. Oh ****! I'm already going over 100...

So seeing as the BRZ sits even lower than the MX-5 it's highly unlikely it will feel too slow. The BRZ like the MX-5 were designed for easily exploitable limits so more power isn't necessary / required.This is one of the reasons why they fitted relatively skinny 215 tires on the BRZ.

Having a whole lot of power / grip is good for producing fast lab times but this is not the best recipe for a fun daily driver. What's the point in having such high limits if they can only be exploited while going balls to the wall around a race track?

A fun daily diver is one that feels "at one" with it's driver doing what you command it to do. A car with really high limits for example can't easily / safely be drifted and ran through its gears without smashing the average 45,55,65 MPG speed limits on public roads.

Cars with easily exploited limits are much more fun / rewarding to drive on a daily bases.. Now if you have a race track in your backyard this may not be so much a factor but for most of us it is.

The point is many folks put entirely too much emphasis on the #'s without understanding the values of a light weight, rear-wheel drive, modest power, and well-tuned chassis.

I'm getting one specifically as a daily driver