View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #67 (permalink)
MattP725
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 40th
MattP725 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBladeZ View Post
I have no regrets, none, about building the Z. It allowed me to add my unique perspective and choice on a production vehicle and it was damn good fun. Now that she's gone and after driving her in stock form I realize how much of a leap I took from stock ---> bolt ons. Still I think tuning the Z was about my personal expression and fanhood of the car rather than anticipating major gains short of F.I. Its a good car but it as a gear head mod obsessed want more power guy like me, it just didn't do "it."

One point, going F.I. is not the end of the road, you then have to worry about reliability both short term and long term. Many will cite, when you force induce a car not meant for it a lot can and might go wrong. Moreover, all that power on a suspension and chassis not designed for it will lead to a lot of dyno queens but not a lot of track monsters. I don't think there is one member on here with a TT kit that would confidently take it around a road course.
Maybe BUT you don't see many of the forum members spending the 20k+ differential between our cars and M3s and Caymans when they upgrade the turbos and motor... you could most likely rebuild the engine to support TT with lower compression components and still have money for the TT and tune with 20-25k... if they did and had a competent shop they could def be made to be as reliable as any factory TT... I just think that people get to a point where if that much money (and time) was in their budget they would just have bought the M3 or Cayman to begin with hence why you don't really see it.

Again just a difference of opinion... to me it is like spending 150k on a fixer upper home (not in NJ of course because you can't buy a shed for that) and dumping 150k into a renovation/remodel... will it be as nice as any 300k home? Probably, it might even be better but if you have that sort of budget you are just going to buy something already to your liking.
MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote