View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #206 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkleeman View Post
Ice Mode = super hard pedal, car wont stop.
Brake Fade = super soft pedal, car wont stop.

It's my opinion that the Ice Mode problem is a software issue. We're running Hawk DTC 70 (f) and DTC 60 (r) on the World Challenge car with Racing Brake 2-piece rotors and am still able to get Ice Mode easily, even before everything has overheated. We're working on a solution, but I think it's going to involve proportioning the brakes properly and installing an ABS disable switch in the cockpit (probably not something you can easily do or even want to on a street car).

It's all about overall pedal pressure, how quickly you apply it and the initial bite on your pads. When it happens you have to give up the pedal and re-apply ... kinda like you do in a non-ABS car Problem is that takes some quick thinking as you're hurtling towards certain doom.
Yeah I'd love to have a switch. Switch on for events where I'm not activating and switch off tracks where I know I will have the issue.

I still think issue is primarily rear bias issue which some race car teams have addressed by putting smaller 350 z Brembo rear calipers on the car. Also I'm big fan of staggered setup which helps with bias issue too.

But alas we still haven't identified a cost effective solution for us aggressive brakers who want abs.

Why can't someone hack the abs software to get rid of ice mode for off road use only? How hard is that? I don need race car abs just don't ever want ice mode on the track.