View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
NYBladeZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Lotus Exige S
NYBladeZ has a spectacular aura aboutNYBladeZ has a spectacular aura about
Default Former Z Owner's Rant about the 370z

I know this forum is visited by many prospective owners that can't help but continuously wonder what are the pros and cons of buying a 370z. I sold my Z this evening and before the sadness and longing are washed away by the fact that "its just a car" I want to share my 3 year experience. Before anyone goes ahead and flames me understand this, I modded the Z to the peak of its N/A power potential. I built the one and possibly only complete carbon fiber Z and I enjoyed the reaction is brought about. So here is my rant.

The Z is a great car but the tuning potential for N/A is underwhelming. Barring a crazy gain by the JUN Camshafts, you will not get 350whp from the Z with all bolt-ons and a tune, you might not even get 340whp. Now that doesn't mean that the car isn't fast, the balance considerable lightweight design help a lot. However, with that said, the Z will not catch an M3, a tuned Cayman S, a tune 135i/1M etc. etc. etc. Those wanting to be Street King, go forced induction but be ready to pony up $$$$.

Today is probably the first time in almost 2.5 years I drove a completely stock Z. Honestly, it felt like it wasn't mine anymore. A stock Z...its too soft. The exhaust tone is not as good as the 350z or Infiniti G and the torque, well its not neck snapping.

The Z is a nice sports car. It is meant for the more hardcore sports car fanatics, if you want luxury get a BMW or Infiniti. It will outperform the 135i in every aspect except a straight line. The best compliment I can pay a 370z is that it reminded me of Nissan's version of the e46 M3.

All in all, I will miss my Z but I will not get another one. It is a great car and had I kept it I surely would have spent a lot more $$$$ into forced induction especially a GTM twin S/C or TT setup. I will still be on the forum and still consider myself a Z expert, even if I am regulated to a Camry for the foreseeable future.