View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
SMJane_Again
Base Member

Drives: 18 Golf R
SMJane_Again is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan8 View Post
Is it me or is the writer of this article a huge BRZ

hes making it seems like the Z and mx-5 are minivans being compared to a sports car. the article is not written with an objective mind imo and it seems the hype has gotten the best of this writer.

I'm not saying Z>all or anything of that nature, but to say the BRZ is best since NSX to come out of japan....R34 Skyline, TT Supra, GTR, 3 generations of Z's, RX-7 just to name a few.
A lot of reviews that have this type of comparo plays to the Law of Recency- basically, the newest thing is foremost in one's mind. It shows here, especially when you read between the lines. A couple of things the author said stood out for me, things like (paraphrased): "have to rev it over 5500 rpm," "would get left behind by a Peugeot 205," "on the right road it could keep the 370z behind it," and so on. What this tells me is the Subaru/Scion cars generate an experience incredibly specific to the type of driving being done, and it's on the consumer to decide if they want that level of specificity.

In the mountain biking world, we have an acronym that's thrown around a lot- "JRA": Just Riding Along. JRA accounts for anywhere between 50 and 95% of a given trail ride, it's just a fact of life. The fun bits unfortunately aren't usually the main part of any ride. For most of us who love driving, the same thing is true. Most of our time driving is on less-than-thrilling roads where the curves aren't endless and tight, where timely acceleration in traffic and from a stoplight matter, where grunt and grip are significantly more important than handling "on the limit." In other words, what I took from the article was that if you want a car for that 5% of your driving time (and don't live at a high elevation) the BRZ/FR-S is right for you. If you'd rather have a car less specialized and more capable for the other 95% of the time, it has to be the Z.

S.
SMJane_Again is offline   Reply With Quote