View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sndtgr08
Base Member

Drives: 2009 A/C 3.5 MT
Sndtgr08 is a jewel in the roughSndtgr08 is a jewel in the roughSndtgr08 is a jewel in the roughSndtgr08 is a jewel in the rough
Default Got a ticket. Cop Fail story. Looking on info on Va Laws

Slightly edited.

soooo, on my way to warrenton today, coming out of culpeper, I was doing the speed limit behind an old for pickup heading for 29 going 55mph or less @ 2500rpm. I saw ahead a state trooper backing into a sneaky spot on the right side of this 2 lane road. As I got up to him, he took one look at me and started pulling out before I was even past him. (Reason: I had no front tag displayed) He does not turn on his lights, but speeds to catch up. The 2 lane road turns into a devided hiway with 4 lanes total. I stay in the left lane behind the truck as we head for the on-ramp to Rt 29. The cop guns it and passed me on the left @ 70+ craining his neck to confirm I have no front plate. I turn on the ramp and look back to see him pulling a hard U-turn at the 1st break in the devide. I get on to 29 and make it about a mile before he races up behind me and kicks on his lights. I pull over and come to a stop, turn off my car and roll down my window.

The officer comes to my window and says "Licence and registration" I start to dig out my wallet and he says "Where is your front licence plate?". I hand him my drivers licence, look him in the eye and said "On the front". He turns and walks strait to the front of my car, looks down, and stairs for a full 5 seconds. He then comes back to my window and I hand him the registration. He then says "mmmmmmm well. How long have you had that exhaust?" I said "over 2 years". He tells me "It's louder then factory and I am going to have to write you a ticket" I looked at him and said "What in the hell are you talking about, are you telling me you heard my car from 30ft away with your windows up while I did the speed limit past you?" He nods his head and says "yep"

I will stop the story there because thats where I exploded and called him a lier and started to scream at him that every diesel in Culpeper is louder then me and half of them have cut there bed and have smokestacks coming up through them, every ricer in town has the real fart cannons and sound like fking mopeds going by and on and on, untill I gave him one more chance and said "You sure you dont want to make this a warning?" (head shake) Long and short is, I got him on the plate and he was mad and want to grasp at straws and lie to my face. I know he didt hear me, and my car was OFF when he came to my window and he could not have heard me and more when the pickup was infront of me as I puttered past him 30ft away with his windows up. I even started it for him afterwards while he was close and showed him how loud it realy was(At idle)

So on my ticket he wrote "46.2-1049 Defective/Inadequite Exhaust. Too Loud"

Here is how the law is writen:
"No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make. "

Not worried about the noise, I know I am far from "excessive" even tho Va is gahy and does not give a solid db level for what excessive is. But:

"or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment" I read this as, it has to made for my car, and do what my old one did. I can make the comparaison, it pipes my exhaust out the back through muffelrs to dampin the noise, just like my factory one, just designed better, stainless steel,and less bends. It was manufactured Just for my model and make, just like my factory one. Am I missing something or is that not comparaison enough? It's not like I strait piped it and it sounds like a Harley.

Since the officer lied to my face, I feel its my duty to call him out on in front of the whole court, If the prosecutor dosent just drop it before I get a chance. He did not hear me and only chased me down to write me a ticket for no front plate, after failing this, he lied about hearing my car and started to nit pick on dumb shyt.

I would love to hear any input, or info you guys have on exahust vs police in Va.

Last edited by Sndtgr08; 04-16-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Sndtgr08 is offline   Reply With Quote