View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Paskii
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z A7
Paskii is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motordyne View Post
^+1

Soot can deposit on the tips and bumper even if the engine is running lean. And yes, running rich will make more soot but its not all about the A/F ratio, combustion efficiency is why its still an issue with lean running engines.

The reason there is soot is because of incomplete combustion. Even if run lean, not all of the gasoline is completely reacted with the oxygen. The partially oxidized gasoline creates carbonacious particles or soot.

This is where the stock catalytic converters do their job of cleaning up the exhaust flow stream. The stock cats "catalyses" the remainder of unreacted gasoline and force it to react with any remaining free oxygen to form water vapor and carbon dioxide. Both of which are much better in terms of cleanliness.

In the case of the 370Z engine, it won't allow the A/F to go to any extreme for very long. The objective of the ECU and stock cats is to burn all the fuel. Between the ECU and the stock cats very little soot is emitted.

But once test pipes, ART pipes or HFC's are used, some soot will make it through. The best that can be done is to tune it on the slightly lean side of optimum and go with it.
Thanks for the input Tony. So from what I gather if we have CATS on the E370 exhaust setup it should help reduce the soot correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix 808 View Post
That is fine it's just condensation & water vapor, it disapates. Perfectly normal, especially on cold mornings. Like you said it goes away, so don't panic. If you are driving off & billowing white smoke that keeps building that's a blown head gasket. Problems like these do not go away.
Scared me Felix, I don't think it's a blown head gasket lol.
Paskii is offline   Reply With Quote