View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #868 (permalink)
vo2max99
Base Member

Drives: 08MS3-BM-6MT
vo2max99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOHN View Post
I understand your point. But I wouldn't buy either. Best value to benefit is going to be the 370 and EVO.
I personally haven't driven a BRZ so I have absolutely no idea if it's a better / worse value than "X,Y,Z,.." car "s".

But with that said all the reviews I've read thus far say the BRZ is going to be well worth it. A car doesn't have to run a certain 1/4 mile time and or have "X" HP to be worth it's price.

The BRZ will likely turn out to be just as fun or more so than cars like the S2K, MX-5, RX-8, Porsche Boxster/Cayman, etc. So if this turns out to be the case as the reviews say it is there's no question the BRZ would be a bargain @ 30K and even more.

The BRZ may not be for those looking to void their warranties right off the bat / looking to run a certain 1/4 mile time but that's not who the car was designed for. The BRZ was built to be a great out of the box driver's car NOT a JDM special.

If you love to drive chances are you'll love the BRZ and understand that it's easily worth it. If you're looking to run fast 1/4 mile times you're in the wrong market. It really makes no sense to even comment about what the cars worth if you've never even driven it.

How a car feels / connects with the driver from the wheel is far more important than its mere numbers. The very most important aspects that make an automobile worth it or not CAN NOT be judged by #'s.

Subjective things such as steering feel, feedback and response. Brake feel, feedback and response. Cornering balance, roll, rigidity. Ideal driver ergonomics. Suspension tuning compliance. Durability (Can it run more than 1 lab before over heating, etc).

There's a host of other aspects as well but the point is obvious. Judging a car based solely on its spec sheet stats is ignorant period end of story. 0-60 / 1/4 mile times and so on do NOT tell how much fun and or great a particular car is to drive.

Apparently many people don't seem to grasp this surprisingly.. I was reading another very high praised review about the BRZ earlier..

The reviewer's had a multiple choice answer which stated something like " Do you think the BRZ is worth 26-28?"

The 3 choices included in summary: A) Yes the BRZ is worth it. B) I'm not sure because I haven't driven it. C) No the BRZ is too much because it has just 200hp.

Answer "C" got the most votes which just goes to show the mass ignorance when it comes to cars in this country. It's the reason why truly awesome cars like the Honda S2000 are no longer made.

Manufactures have successfully convinced the masses that "more" is always better. Of course this is obviously not true as anybody who knows anything about cars understands.

I blame it on "marketing" it's not that people are stupid they're just a victim of a terrible marketing campaign. As in terrible for the understanding enthusiast.

All the manufactures really have to do is up the HP in the cars and ppl buy. Somebody in the industry needs to steep in and stop the craziness and educate the consumer. People are clearly lost...

Last edited by vo2max99; 04-10-2012 at 11:49 PM.