View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #426 (permalink)
KORRUPT
Base Member

Drives: 09 MB 370Z
KORRUPT will become famous soon enoughKORRUPT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
this is a question for AXW and KORRUPT...or anyone that actually took apart a broken steering lock. if we were to just remove the spur gear in the pict below, would this mean we would be removing the root cause of the failing steering lock problem?

we wont have steering lock feature as the motor and pinion will just spin inside, but i think it was the spur gear that was jamming that causes this problem in the first place. any thoughts?

where is the detection pads/pins that sends signal back to the BCM? is it part of the large gear or no?

The big white gear seen on the left...
Kenchan, you can remove the white plastic gear completely and the actual shaft that the gear moves up and down to lock the steering wheel, as well as the motor really. Obviously you wont be able to lock the steering wheel but who cares the car will start. As for the electronic pins I assume they have to be held down and connected for the car to start by completing the circuit.There is a metal plate inside the white plastic gear that presses the pins down and completes the circuit when it releases the steering lock. I am by no means a electronics wizz and if someone can come up with an easier way to do it than a piece of metal and electrical tape then I say sweeet and I will open mine up again and change it. Hope this made sense.