View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem last week. You probably have air stuck in the master cylinder, and when that happens you need to "bench bleed" it as my tech described it. Basically it's liking priming a brand new master with fluid before installing it.

What he ended up doing was disconnecting the clutch pedal from the master, ensure there's plenty of fluid in the reservoir, and pushed the plunger all the way in to push out all the remaining air trapped inside. With the pedal, there's a travel limit that prevents you from pushing all the air out.

Joe@ZSpeed provided very useful advice. When bleeding the clutch fluid initially, get all the air trapped in the hard lines connecting the master by loosening it. Then tighten it and crack the bleeder to finish the job.

Each time we bleed, I pumped the pedal 20-40 times, held down pedal to the floor, crack the bleeder, close it, and then repeat.

Once we figured it out, all I can say is for the first time in over 7 months I can finally enjoy driving the Z with perfect engagement and pressure (e.g., less than 0.5" springy play versus 2-3" of no pressure floppiness).

Last edited by DIGItonium; 04-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
DIGItonium is offline   Reply With Quote