View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
FireDan50
Track Member

Drives: '09 370Z PW M6
FireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond reputeFireDan50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just installed KW Variant 3 coilovers

Got my KW V3s in the mail super quick from Frank at Modbargains.com. Awesome service and once again, fast shipping!

This was my first time working with any suspension components on a Z. Surprisingly it was all pretty easy and one of the easiest suspension installs I've ever done. One part I wasn't expecting was needing a spring compressor, because you need to reuse the OEM top supporting rubber bearing. I don't know how much spring tension is on the OEM suspension so I used a spring compressor to take off the top rubber OEM parts and then used them with the KW V3 coilovers. You need to do this with the front and the back.

I also used the suggested settings from KW (middle for rebound / 9 clicks open from max stiff) and 1 click open from max stiffness for bump. The rebound is adjusted from the top and the bump is adjusted from the bottom of the shock.

As for the height adjustment, i just set it to about the same height/length as the OEM stuff and it turned out pretty good. Drove the car a little bit and let it settle and it rests just how you see it in the pics below.

I had some difficulty tightening the top center nut in the front shocks. The nut seemed to spin the whole piston. I couldn't figure out how to stop the piston from spinning so I carefully used an impact wrench to get it secure without overtightening it; I hope I didn't screw anything up.

There seems to be a slight banging/clunking noise in the front when I go over bumps. It maybe nothing and I may be just paranoid, but it is a little louder than stock, but it drives and feels awesome. I'm going to let it settle for a day or so and then try to get it aligned...the rear seems to have just a little too much negative camber just by looking at it. I'll try to get straight on pics.

What is everyone else's experiences with coilover installs and noise from the front?

FireDan50 is offline   Reply With Quote