View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
SP33DKILLS
Base Member

Drives: 2012 370z Nismo
SP33DKILLS is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie - To horn or not to horn (Image Dynamics)

Hello to all fellow 370z owners. I just purchased a 2012 Nismo (0% financing… waaaaaaa?) and I can’t help but notice how terrible the sound is. I’ve read a ton of posts before posting myself, but my question revolves around the terrible imaging/imaging presence in the cabin. At one time I was a huge car stereo fanatic and as such in my day the dream was to have a pair of Soundworks HCLDs. So, to this day I dream of one day having horns in my car.

Being a fan of Image Dynamics, I was wondering about the CD Pro Compression Horns and if anyone has experience with these horns. I love the idea of them since they allow me to place the highs much closer to the 6.5” door speakers. I also like the fact I don’t have to bounce the tweeters/highs off the windshield with the front facing horns and I feel it will strongly improve overall sound and staging.

My questions are as follows:

• Anyone have these (or similar) in their vehicle?
• Are horns outdated with the newer super premium component speakers?
• I have $450 to spend on the horns or anyone convincing me there are far superior component speakers available. Just hate the tweeter placement. FYI, runner up would be Focal 165 V30 or similar.
• Strong recommendations for 6.5” speakers if I go the horns route. With quality horns, I believe I would want to go with a bass heavy 6.5” speaker to complement.
Phase I –
Kenwood head unit, still undecided, but something in the DD419-719 range.
Amplifier – Being old school, I would love to have Rockford Amps once again (5 channel). Alpine’s V70 is also tempting. Budget $350-ish.
Speakers – Vastly improve front stage imaging and sound with either horns or a premium component set. Budget for speakers $450. I realize at that price I can only get the horns for now.
Phase 2 –
Addition of Subwoofer.

Thanks in advance for all you comment!
SP33DKILLS is offline   Reply With Quote