View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #78 (permalink)
Denny McLain
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 96CE hotrod
Denny McLain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisko View Post
I have had no issues getting my computer to recognize the AccessPort and I've even viewed some data logs that I created from driving around town. I've yet to do any actual tuning with it though. The only thing I've done is just flashed it with the Cobb 370Z stock basemap.
Your luckier than me. I was on the phone with Cobb three times yesterday and it's the tuning program that is still not installing. The first issue is both my main computer and main laptop are Vista 64. They do not have the software ready for Vista 64 yet. Lucky enough to have another laptop using Vista 32 and it will not load on that either. Basically ran out to time yesterday but will call them again Monday and let them troubleshoot the issue.

Also... A weather front came through the night before so I made a bee line to the original dyno (RPM in Lewisville TX) to get a better feeling for exactly what is going on with the car. Dyno sheets below.

370Z RPM run #10 - 317 rwhp std picture by dennylmclain - Photobucket

Note this is std hp and not SAE as per the first Cobb dyno sheet. SAE the car made 312 so either the car picked up 7 hp or it's a difference in dynos. It appears the car has learned in the 7500-8000 rpm segment and has picked quite a bit of power vs the fresh tune.

Only made two dyno passes (#9 and #10) as it was a learn vs a tune session, but the fuel/air readout on the Cobb Accessport is not accurate. Upon talking to the Cobb tech, he indicated the readout is based upon the narrowband 02 sensors of the car and would not be accurate but would be consistent for each vehicle. (it read about six tenths lower than the dyno wideband) I'll play with this some more in future sessions to see if it is consistent for my vehicle, but according to the tech each car would need to be hooked up with a wideband 02 to as he said each car would vary.

To not add too much material I didn't post the fuel/air but it varied between 12.8 on the bottom to 12.5 on top. Probably a couple more hp on top by leaning the car out some more.

On pull #10 we tracked the timing and found the midrange timing dipped thus the slight dip in the dyno sheet. Without knowing what the actual timing table is my only guess is either the car pulled out timing because it didn't like something or it's still learning the entire powerband. Next dyno session I should have that nailed.

Stock vs Bolt ons picture by dennylmclain - Photobucket

No brainer.....the car picked up 35-36 hp from tuning, intake, headers, cats and full exhaust.

Been hooted on because I've been very critical of manufacturers dyno claims. Well.... here ya go. Hoot on this......... as this is real world results from someone with no financial interest. About what I expected and typical of what most cars get from bolt-ons. Real shame what people do and say to get ya to buy their stuff.

Last edited by Denny McLain; 08-22-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote