View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
ChipsWithDips
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '11 Gunmetal 370Z MT
ChipsWithDips has a spectacular aura aboutChipsWithDips has a spectacular aura about
Default Ebay Y pipe reviewed and dyno'd

Got my $99 ebay Y pipe installed and dyno'd today.

I tried taking some pics on my phone, but they didn't show up later when I tried to load them on my computer, not sure what happened with that. Anyways, the pipe is one of these:

Ebay Y Pipe Weight 10.41 Lbs
Stock Y pipe Weight 14.51 Lbs

Dyno runs were done same day, a couple hours apart, 3 before runs and 3 after runs are shown. The car had a tune on it before the Y pipe was installed, and the tune was re-tweaked a bit after install. So runs are comparing tuned vs tuned.

Only other mod currently is PPE Longtube headers. Exhaust after Y pipe is still stock.

Code:
Before Avg     314.91 HP  256.02 TQ
After  Avg     322.92 HP  262.46 TQ
Avg Difference   8.01 HP    6.44 TQ
How it sounds:
With just PPE headers and stock exhaust, there was an annoying rasp starting at 2300 RPM, even at very light throttle. This was annoying to me because it made my car sound obnoxious even when I was trying to drive conservatively, just putting around between stop lights, etc.

With the new pipe, it seems the rasp doesn't start until 3000RPM, and only when giving more than maybe 20% throttle. So if I'm cruising and accelerating lightly, I don't get the rasp like before, it's more controllable. At WOT it is a bit louder than with the stock Y pipe, but not a whole lot.

Overall I am pleased with this purchase. Can't go wrong for $99 shipped.
ChipsWithDips is offline   Reply With Quote