View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Augustus
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z Touring M6
Augustus is on a distinguished road
Default Drive both.

The most significant thing the Sport brings to the table is the SynchroRev system. I say that because it's the only thing that you can't add later. You could upgrade the wheels, springs, brakes, add an LSD, etc all on your own. And in some cases, you'll do a lot better with aftermarket gear than OEM. The OEM VLSD, for example, is not very highly regarded around here (so I've read, anyway). Granted, you're probably going to spend more money doing it yourself than you will from just buying the Sport package. But then again, modding a car like the Z can be part of the fun of owning one.

But the SynchroRev system is special. It's very cool, lots of fun, totally unique to the Z, and quite useful. I would highly recommend that you at least drive a Sport so you can experience it. AFAIK, there's no way to install it in a non-Sport Z. Counter-point, the SynchroRev system is the one part of the Sport package that you can actually have for free, provided you're willing to put in the time & effort to teach your right foot how to heel-toe & rev match properly.

That said... I wasn't thrilled with the ride quality with the Sport package. Yeah, I said it. I'm a wuss. When I went to the dealer, they had both an '11 Z Touring 6MT and an '11 Z Touring+Sport 6MT on the lot. I spent quite a bit of time in both, but came home in the non-Sport.

While the SynchroRev system is really slick and every Z ought to have the VLSD (even if it's crappy), I personally didn't really care for the rest of the Sport package. I'm indifferent to the rear spoiler. The front lip spoiler doesn't do anything for me except drag itself on every banked driveway & parking lot entrance. The Sport brakes are visually & technically superior to the base brakes, but I doubt it makes much of a difference in street driving. And given the Z's brakes' reputation (deserved or not), I'm not sure I'd trust either the base or Sport brakes on the track anyway. The 19" RAYS are visually stunning, but the 19" tire + spring combination doesn't do the ride quality any favors. The Z isn't supposed to be a cream-puff, obviously, but the Sport package makes the ride even stiffer & harsher. I could definitely tell a difference with every expansion joint on the highway when I was driving the Sport. Yes, yes, no need to flame me, it's a sports car, a stiff ride is the point (...that's what she said...). But my Z is going to spend most of its miles as a daily driver & weekend toy on cracked & cratered midwestern roads, not on the track. There is something to be said for ride comfort. And 18" tires are cheaper to replace than 19's, so .

Seriously, I mean no flames. Just pointing out that the Sport package isn't always the best choice. People's priorities differ. Again, to the OP, go drive both if you can. That's the only way you can really tell what works best for you.

All that said, I do wish the Z had a "Grand Touring" trim line that added the VLSD and Synchrorev to the Touring. But that's it. That'd be perfect, IMHO. And off topic...

To the OP, if you get the 11, others have a valid point about the steering wheel lock problems. Check the manufacture date. It's on the driver's door plate. IIRC, 2011 Z's made after March 2011 don't have a steering lock. My 7/2011 build MY2011, for example, doesn't have it. The oil cooler on the 2012's is a welcome feature for many. I personally have not witnessed high oil temps in my 2011, but again, I'm not tracking my Z.

Good luck! You can't really make a wrong decision here.

Last edited by Augustus; 03-28-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote