Thread: KW Variant 3?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Mergnthwirker
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z PW MT6 S
Mergnthwirker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
it somewhat does, but the real definition for coilover is coil spring over strut. the difference between coilovers and regular spring/strut designs is coilovers are all one unit, spring and shock are built together, where as regular ones are first seperate and then compressed onto the strut.
I think I see where you are coming from. This is a lot more relevant for true McPherson struts than it is for a wishbone suspension like the 370Z has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
a coilover itself, not talking about being adjustable or not, should perform far better than the conventinal spring/strut design, because they were built to be together and work more seamlessly.
For the Z, actual performance has a lot more to do with spring rates and valving than with the configuration of the strut.

You have to flush the Sentra suspension from your brain and look at the way the Z suspension actually works. The aftermarket coilovers for the Sentra DO work better as you state, because of their configuration, whereas for the Z this is much less true. My old '91 Sentra SE-R got a huge benefit from coilovers because it improved the suspension. For the Z, it's all about height, spring rates and shock valving.

Any clearer? HTH!
Mergnthwirker is offline   Reply With Quote