View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
nuTinmuch
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: PG 7AT 370Z
nuTinmuch is a jewel in the roughnuTinmuch is a jewel in the roughnuTinmuch is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to nuTinmuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbagandu View Post
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the 2011 WRX (non-STI). I don't know **** about the 08-10 model years because they are hatchbacks and I dislike hatchbacks so much that I did not even bother to read about the stats, but I know that for the 04-07 models the base WRX needs a decent bit of work to even get close to 300whp, and even then the transmissions can barely hold up.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the 2011 models are a more potent platform to work with. As in, could they be made faster than a 370z with boltons and tune? I know they start with 265hp right off the bat so I am thinking they may be a bit more responsive to mods?
The transmission in the WRX isn't really that weak. It's pretty okay up until about 350 ft-lbs, afaik.

The thing you need to worry about in 07+ WRX/STIs is ringland failure. You'll get people telling you that it doesn't happen, or that it is actually because of insert thing here, but most shops will tell you that no one *really* knows what causes it, and while you can do your best to prevent it, if you get unlucky, you'll be dead in the water.

As far as mods go, I can't speak to the 09+ WRX, but on the 2.5 before then you'd likely have to spend some money to get to 300awhp. It'll still be cheaper than a non-FI car, but it isn't as cheap as an Evo.

Also, the suspension in the WRX feels sloppy, and while it might be okay for you, most people I know that downgraded/upgraded/whatever from WRX/STI land who were serious about handling had to dump thousands into the suspension to get it where they wanted it.