View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #60 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
I'd very much like it to be free, but that's just not reality. In this case, the whole is equal to more than the sum of the parts. For over 3 years, no one has come out with a brake cooling kit for this car. The simple matter of fact is that making the replacement splash guard that mounts on the hub and has a hose flange isn't so straight forward. If you can do it yourself, go for it. Until some other companies come out with similar kits, Stillen can charge whatever they like. $295 is reasonable for anyone that truly needs it. Would I like it to be $150? Absolutely, and I would have ordered already. For now, I'll ponder it a while longer and maybe order in a month or two if I think I really need it.
The cost is definitely more than the sum of the parts. This is a low quantity production unit, they are only going to sell one brake duct kit for every 100 cold air intakes so it only makes sense that the price is a little higher so they can re-coup the engineering costs. If you had a race shop custom engineer this for you it would be $1000, with 90% of the cost being time.

After speaking to the new brake manager Jim last August I strongly encouraged him to get the product off the back burner and into production as there was no one filling the need. I'm very happy that they did and I'll gladly pay the $300 for the kit. At the time I would have gladly paid $200 for the 2 hub backing plates and built the rest myself!