View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #76 (permalink)
Denny McLain
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, 96CE hotrod
Denny McLain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
You might want to try sending a PM to Sharif to see if he has any advice. Sharif wanted to do mine with Cobb, but I decided to hold off and wait to see what UpRev releases. Anyway, Sharif (Forged Performance) is a Cobb Pro-Tuner and might be able to help.
Ended up calling Cobb in Plano and they directed me to Dan in Utah. After redownloading the software, everything except for the tuning software is working correctly. That I should get again tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Was in MI all last week for the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise (absolute off the scale hoot) so I hadn't had a chance to play with it plugged into the car. Damn handy tool is all I'll say and I'd probably buy one just for the others things it does.

It answered one question real easy......the tach is off on the cars. At a showing of 5000 rpm; the car really is at 4800 rpm (typical of most cars. My Vette is also off) and at an indicated 8300 to 8400 rpm, it hits the rev limit of 8000.

A feature I didn't realize it had was fuel/air ratio readings. I'll log it and double check it for accuracy with the talepipe windband 02 the next time I dyno. If it is accurate, I'd say most people could do a half way decent driving tune. Once the parameters for AFR that the car responds most to are public knowledge, all you need to do is log the runs and make the corrections with the programming software. Like WOW. Something else I may try and verify on the dyno as in the past, I've done more harm than good trying to do a rolling tune.

Also found the air intake temp pretty handy. With the ambient temp of 97 degrees after a bit of driving through the local hood, the lowest reading I got was 108. I'd be very interested to see what others with the stock intake are seeing in comparison to ambient temps. Sounds like one part of the acid test to see how effective these various intakes are. The rule of thumb is 1% hp increase in hp for every 10 degrees of lower intake temps.

About time the big dog smelled where home was and is going in the right direction at least.
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote