View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725 View Post
If you read the TSB it goes off of dipstic level... they don't drain and measure the oil. Based upon that it shouldn't matter who does the changes...

Also to Neo's point... you can't void a warranty by doing your own changes as long as your changes don't cause the damage. This is a know issue and I have all records so there is no reason to suspect I caused any damage.

I agree 100% with Augustus that they should cover the cost of the oil change but the service manager scoffed at me when I suggested it. I actually thought about your counter point that they should cover it and I will pay it if the car passes the test.

Again I saw nothing in the TSB that suggested Nissan had to do anything with the oil other than make sure it came up to the top of the dipstic before the test. They are just coming up with excuses to earn revenue off this issue.
Has everyone lost their minds? Free oil change because you *think* you have a problem?

Come on folks, lets be reasonable here. If you did your own oil change and you want someone to follow a *procedure*, then I don't care if it was done 10 minutes ago: I would dump the oil too. Why? Because *I* did not do that oil change. I did not physically drain it all and re-fill with 5.125 qt of oil (IIRC exact amount with filter change from FSM).

This is really common sense.

Yes the procedure measures MM delta on reading over time, but still there is some relativity. What if one dipstick is just a smidge different then another. It may show full at 2mm short of F. You want to measure the relative delta.

I am pretty sure *plenty* of people fill with 5qt not 5.125 qt, so you would be starting just a little low wouldn't you?

If you think you have consumption problems, its not going to go away.

Why not wait until your next scheduled change, make the appointment, ask the service manager to please start that procedure now. You pay for a service you need anyway, and you put yourself in the right situation to follow the Nissan procedure to see if you do have a problem.

No fuss. No muss.

Asking for a free oil change to me, is unreasonable in this situation. There is no proof you have a problem. Dealer gives it to you for free, you have no issue...then they are out the time and materials with no way to recoup it.

If it was you running the business, I think you would feel the same way. If not...you would not be in business very long.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote