View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Augustus
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z Touring M6
Augustus is on a distinguished road

The demand that you get an oil change probably isn't because it actually needs a Nissan-performed oil change. It's likely because the consumption test requires it.

I would suspect that Nissan requires documentation on filling with 5.25 quarts on day X. They'll then seal the oil system (no-tamper tape), then you'll come back 1,000 (or whatever they tell you) miles later and they'll drain the system to see how much oil is left. If you've lost enough, then you fail the consumption test and the warranty kicks in.

Point is, Nissan corporate probably requires both a verified start & end oil level for warranty issues. Verified = their techs do it, not just a Pep Boys receipt for 6 quarts of Mobile 1 and the customer's word that 5.25 quarts went in. Just sayin', that's likely how the dealership and/or Nissan sees it.

I don't disagree that it sucks that you just changed it. Nor do I agree that you should have to pay the $40 for the change. The dealership ought to cough that up as a courtesy. Or at least agree that you'll be reimbursed if the car fails the test. Maybe you can get them to return your fresh Mobile1 oil & filter back to you for your next change? Then at least you're not totally SOL.

Seriously though, good luck. I bet it will work out.

Last edited by Augustus; 03-21-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote