View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
MC

Drives: 2015 GTR NISMO
MC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant futureMC has a brilliant future

nismo was 7th out of 10

7TH PLACE: 2010 NISSAN NISMO 370Z

Based on objective test numbers, Nissan's most wicked two-seater, the all-new NISMO 370Z, appeared poised to secure a top-five finish in this competition. Peruse its specs-350-horsepower V-6, track-tuned suspension, Yokohama ADVAN tires, lateral grip of 0.93 g, and weight-to-power of 9.6 pounds/horsepower, the last better than that of the Cayman S-and picking it for seventh would seem, well, foolish. Plus, all our editors, not to mention hot-shoe Pobst, loved nearly everything about the NISMO, most notably the handling. What hampered the NISMO? Before we delve into that, let's start with what placed it ahead of three formidable challengers.

Impressive characteristics? The NISMO's brake pedal effort is nicely linear, and it resists pitch and roll. But it pays a price in ride quality. Additionally, our testing found other less-than-average results. One wouldn't expect a car as highly strung as the NISMO to have less-than-average on-center steering sensitivity. There was unusual discord between our objective and subjective experiences with understeer. Around the skidpad, understeer was evident, while the Nissan proved looser-handling at Laguna and around our evaluation course.Per Markus, "Very aggressive chassis tuning; bites into turns with little or no slop, roll, or pitch. You need to get the trail-braking just right, or you're drifting the whole corner." Which got Markus wondering, "Perhaps this package was optimized for drifting?" According to Pobst, that's quite possible. "It had an unusual tendency to get loose," he notes. "The tail would come out during the entry phase of the corner; as I was turning, I could feel the tail starting to move, and then it just stopped and that's as far it went." Unwelcome trait? Not to Pobst's race-stoked neurons. "It's a very happy car. It creates its own drifts. I just turn the wheel into the corner at a good rate of speed, and it rotates on its own and takes a set that's in a little bit of a drift. It was a beautiful thing." Even judged against the more race-car-like mid-engine competitors, the NISMO was unbeatable in one regard. "I found that I could confidently drift this car closer to the edge of the track than any other car I've driven today and just know where it was going to be," claims Pobst.

So what exactly didn't we like? Not a lot really, but enough to warrant a less favorable finish. "Seats are disappointing," says Loh. "Flexy in the upper back and soft enough that you can feel the two headrest rods." He also notes the Z is "exceptionally loud on regular roads; ears feel as though they've been stuffed with cotton wool." Unfortunately for Nissan, the NISMO really epitomizes the evolution of our contest from Best-Handling Car to Best Driver's Car. Had it participated in last year's event, which concentrated entirely on handling dynamics, it undoubtedly would have finished in the top half of the field, what with its aggressive, track-happy setup.

But that was then, when there was little to no focus on nuanced intangibles that can break a great-handling car and make a superb driver's car. For instance, in the upper reaches of an engine's rev range, does it sing sweetly and smoothly, leaving you longing for more, or does it grind coffee beans? When grading a car for its handling, this motor NVH criterion isn't really applicable; for rating best driver's car, however, it's critical. After all, if the car's heart can't get yours pounding, how can it be the best? And here's where the NISMO falters-and falters big. "The tractor-grade engine NVH is enough to knock the Z out of contention for the win," declares St. Antoine. Pobst agrees: "It's a fabulous car, but compared with some of the fine engines that we've driven here today, it was definitely on the school bus side of things." School bus and Best Driver's Car? Mutually exclusive, for sure.

RANDY SAYS: "I had SynchroRev Match on and I was doing my own synchro-rev matching, so I had like a safety net. Very good feature for drivers who don't know how to match revs on downshifts because that's so important, especially in track driving. For any high-speed or slippery-condition driving, it's a good feature.

its scorecard

Last edited by MC; 08-20-2009 at 04:10 PM.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote