View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #82 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Z1 View Post
You are correct. When assembly is completed, each car is put onto a four wheel rolling road and tested. The cars are then taken out onto a closed test course around the assembly plant to bed in the brakes and test other functions, systems. After a few laps the cars go back into the factory for final inspection, detailing and preparation for shipping.

I visited the Tochigi assembly plant while in Japan back in November 2010 and saw this with my own eyes.
Did they redline the car? I highly doubt it. Tests like you mention are normal, but I have never heard of them redlining the car, and I can tell you for a fact that my 370Z arrived with an engine that was far from broken in. I actually wiped semi-clear looking oil out of my tail-pipes the first time I detailed it at about 50 miles on the odometer. With 1200 on it, now, the tail-pipes are bone dry save for a tiny amount of soot. For what it's worth, my Z06 was very similar, except there was just a TON of black stuff in the exhaust tips instead of actual oily residue. Maybe it was just condensation + a ton of soot in the 370Z, but either way, it definitely isn't near as cruddy as when I bought it. The rings are seated, now, and they sure weren't before. In either car. Both burned about 1/4-1/2 a quart during break-in, or so.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote