View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mecinoid
Base Member

Drives: 16 370Z Sport Wht S7
Mecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond reputeMecinoid has a reputation beyond repute

I hate using OEM filters. However, there is a chance Nissan will try to or be sucessful in voiding your warantee with the use of aftermarket filter. At the least you'll have to go to court and prove that the oil filter and oil is better than the OEM filter and Ester oil they recommend. Been there done that. It's not fun ... So, until I am out of warantee I use what they recommend even if it cost a tad more. I've been able to buy their oil filters and oil online and document my oil changes in a spreadsheet for all my cars.

On my cars out of warantee I use Mobil 1 and K & N filters. I love the nut on the bottom of the filters that you can safety wire and it also makes installation and taking the filter off a lot easier. I also use Redline in my race car and expensive modified cars. Mobil 1 is more than enough protection for a stock 370Z. However, it you want to every once of performance out of your car you might want to step up to a Amosol, Royal Purple, Redline type of super performance oil. I see Mobil 1 as a super oil and enough for all cases. It's just that the super performance oils have been tested better than Mobil lately.

I changed my Ester Oil* in the 370Z @ about 1500 miles. I think it's important to get any assembly lube / breaking metal shavings etc. out of the engine early. I then try to change the oil every 3000 miles even though it's synthetic. However, I do not worry if I go 5000K between oil changes. Many people go as far as 7500 miles betweem oil changes and I think that is on the edge of the oil breakdown formula. I think the oil looks pretty brown(dirty)at 5000 milesand I do not want any sludge building up in my car.

Oil changes are cheap insurance and they help the car work better. If you leave the oil in there too long it becomes sticky and dirty. Plus, the acids wear parts as well. So, change your oil often. For others I'd recommend 5000K after original 1500 mile oil change.

As for the alum vs illuminated kick plates. That was most likely a excuse because they were out of the part or didn't have the time to install it that day.

The factory kick plate is plastic with alum over a portion of it I believe. illuminated is plastic with more alum over it and the Z emblem backlit as you probably know by now.

Good luck !!!!

Note all - Check all your fluid levels, colors and belts for wear each time you change your oil that will save you breaking down on the road over a $10-15 item. I admit I forget to do this every time and I've lucked out the times I've forgotten.

*Nissan claims the high amount of Ester that they put in their oil is better for our engines and quiets it more than other oils. I don't know about that however some have claimed noise at high rpm. I do not notice that using the Ester Oil. On my next oil change I most likely will use Mobil 1 because it is what the dealerships have been using as a substitute for the Ester oil I'm told. However, they do state it does make the engine noisier especially on start up for a few seconds. They also state that it does provide the protection Nissan requires for the warantee. If they use Mobil 1 I figure I'm safe waratee wise. So, I figure I'll try it and see if I notice a difference. It only take my like 15-30mins to do a oil change so it's worth the experiment.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 03-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Mecinoid is offline   Reply With Quote