Thread: District 9
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lone Wolf 75
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z PG 6M
Lone Wolf 75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikuh View Post
I greatly enjoyed the first Starship Troopers just like I enjoyed this movie. It was a ton of fun in my opinion. I can't really compare the 2 movies past that point because it has been to long since I watched Starship Troopers. I also agree the action sequences were crafted much better than Transformers 2. You can actually SEE whats going on and not just this mass of CGI rolling all over the place. Really to be honest, the recent Transformers movie was a bit of a let down... Nothing new really happened in the movie and we don't see ANY new autobots or decpiticons get introduced that were of any merit. The whole movie felt like a Optimus Prime fanboy flick with some Bumblebee fluff added in for good meassure.

On the point of how would humans interact with aliens, I would fully expect us to behave this way. Especially if it happened in this sort of manner, but at the same time, how would "should" we react?

Thinking about it some, if say... tomorrow some massive alien ship just descended to surface but didn't land and then shut down, I would be pretty afraid myself because they obviously have better technology than us AND they are parked in our backyard. Chances are we wouldn't be able to communicate with them and we would have no idea if their intentions were hostile or not. I couldn't blame the governments of the world if they all decided to just shoot first and ask questions later. However, if they were peaceful, there are still huge obsticals to overcome between the species since we would not even know if humanity is capable of co-existing with them.

Anyway, I think the movie did a pretty good job in portraying how I think humanity would react if we encountered an alien species under these circumstances.
I liked Starship Troopers too, the campy "would you like to know more?" sequences were no doubt intentionally supposed to make you think of 1950's scifi since that is when the story was originally written. I agree, two different movies and good in their own way.

I agree totally with you on Transformers 2, it was a letdown. The introduction of Jetfire was cool, but I was really disappointed with the Destructicons. They should have been at least all the same color - I understand if they all couldn't be Caterpillar equipment, but it would have been a lot cooler if they were.

Well, I guess I am somewhat optimistic. The way the aliens were treated reminded me a lot of the way the Jews were treated in WWII, which is likely the intended response as well. I'd like to think that we'd figure out some way of communicating with them and learning thier technology, maybe developing some mutually beneficial relationship between species. But who am I kidding? We'd probably treat them even worse and either kill them all in the name of science or because they were considered an undefined threat.
Lone Wolf 75 is offline   Reply With Quote