View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
zakimak
6/2/80 - 9/29/14 - RIP Lukas

Drives: ZR; Q45; VTR1K, GT65
zakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond reputezakimak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
I could revert it all the way back to the alternator itself, either way your adding more a a quick draw load on your system with A) a cap b) a amp. Either way you look at it your still putting an additional load on your system the cap as I mentioned is just helping take the initial pull from coming from the battery, but the cap still has to get a recharge from the electrical system.

Bottom line OP a cap will help for a while, however if you do a quick search on google you will find that caps can cause damage overtime to either your battery or your alternator. This is why I do not recommend using them at all.
Adding anything into the electrical system will absolutely add additional requirement of the alternator. The difference is that the loads of the capacitor varies in conjunction with the music's demand and is not on the consistent basis. Hence it's merit. It is very logical.

Again given the cost factors and ease of use when comparing to a High output alternator, it is worth investigating when dealing with the dimming issue. All that said, even if you have the best alternator in the world and if your demand is past the capacity of the alternator at transient, then a fast acting capacitor would help. Alternatively, turn down the volume.

As for the reliability issue, in my opinion, there was are several causes. Manufacturers used poorly made ones who jumped on the bandwagon when it was introduced at IASCA back in the early 90s (think it was Wayne Harris and his Octobus) to make a buck, people did not allow enough cooling and not removing bad ones when they bleed.