View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
senseiturtle
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z T/S
senseiturtle is on a distinguished road

The advice above is sound.

My own diatribe, in extremely general terms. Specifics will vary:

1) NOTHING tops a shotgun for home defense. There are combat shotgun "courses" that can be watched on the internet. Keep a side saddle with varying ammo options (slugs for barriers, buckshot for perps) and PRACTICE. While people tend to think it's a "spray and pray" gun, it truly isn't. Within about 30ft, where most people practice their handguns at a slow-fire range, the pellets are aligned in a group about the size of a balled-up fist. For the next 30ft, they spread to the size of a salad or dinnerplate, depending on choke and gun. If you have to shoot much farther, consider a full choke or a rifle.

A 1.125 oz load (standard 12g) delivers just under 500 grains of lead at speeds of 1300+ FPS. To compare it to a 9mm pistol shooting 127's, that's roughly the energy deliverance of four rounds at once! In addition, each pellet has decreased cross-sectional density, so higher potential for delivering the energy on target, rather than penetrate.

Don't buy larger than 2 3/4" shells unless you're goose hunting. Get the shortest, heaviest, highest-capacity gun you can find. The intent is to reduce recoil, which can rival .270 rifles. Shooting a huge 3 1/2 out of a 7lb shotgun is akin to firing a .378 weatherby magnum rifle, a literal "elephant gun", with over 60ft-lbs of recoil. I also prefer automatics, where the action soaks up recoil, as well as takes the idiot factor out of pump-action.

------------------

2) If you don't want a shotgun, consider a light rifle. I have a much longer essay on this one, spared for purposes of this conversation. I'm a 5.56 proponent, as well as a bullpup proponent. You'll find hundreds of different viewpoints out there if you look.

-----------------

3) As far as pistols...
Determine what purpose it will serve.
Actively explain to yourself why you're picking a pistol over the two above options. (Usually, people want a carry / car gun.)
Research cost of ammo.
Research suppressors if you're interested in it one day.
Is there a .22lr equivalent for super-cheap practice?

Most importantly, go to a gun store and try them out. Hold every single one that fits your description. Some people love higher grip angles. Others place importance on sights. Some need thinner profiles and lighter weight.

For my own gun, I went with a Taurus PT99, 9mm. Full stainless steel, adjustable sights, 5in barrel, 17rnds, and HEAVY. Over the last several years, I've put about 4-5k rounds through it without a single issue. I chose it over the Beretta 92FS due to the placement of the safety, and didn't see a difference in quality between the two to justify the extra $200.

Sigs, glocks, Springfield, HK, FnH and berettas I'd place in the "highest tier" of brand name, excluding short-run exotics like Kimbers, Nighthawks, Wilson etc.

Ruger, Taurus, higher-end S&W autos, Walthers (new ones made by S/W) would be a solid second choice with no regrets.

AVOID: Cobra, Jimenez, Jennings, Llama. Make sure you pay at least $350, and you'll be ok.
senseiturtle is offline   Reply With Quote