View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
cheshirecat
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N54 135i
cheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond repute

Steering wheel lock doesn't give sputtering startup. It gives no startup at all, since the immobilizer kills everything before it even gets there.

IMO, it has something to do with the MAF sensors. The sputtering would be more of an issue of the ECU not being able to read the incoming air well. Exhaust sensors would trigger a CEL, so that probably isn't it.

Check for proper seating of the MAF sensors. I'd also suggest picking up some MAF cleaner from discount auto or whatever to spray them down. It could even be something stupid like excess oil on the maf sensors from the K&N filters.

Anyway, that's my hunch.

The crank position sensor would exhibit this kind of behavior also, but it tends to get worse and worse rather than being completely intermittent.
cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote