View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #315 (permalink)
jbenington86
Base Member

Drives: 370Z
jbenington86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
The steering lock was designed by a German company (manufactured in the usa) and sold as oem part to nissan. While nissan is responsible for designing in this part, it is the supplier that should be held accountable.
If the design is ultimately flawed then it would be on nissan. Supplier was just following orders as per request from the customer (nissan). I have worked for a car manufacturer supplier. Requests come in then parts are mocked made from original designs. Supplier makes the parts and 100% are inspected at every part of production. Then shipped to, in this case, Nissan. Nissan would then inspect XX per XXXX parts. Basically tear them apart to ensure proper quality is met. Oddly enough I helped manufacture steering column parts for numerous car companies. Also made other parts for all type of vehicle makes such as BMW, Porsche, Audi, you name it I very well could have made a part for any vehicle made in mid 2000s.

It should be investigated especially since Nissan removed this part on the 2012 370s because they couldn't figure out how to fix it. I think that is more of a sign that they knew there was a problem they couldn't fix with a new revision so they got rid of it to try and bury the issue. If the part is also on back order at many dealers that is also saying something.

Last edited by jbenington86; 03-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.
jbenington86 is offline   Reply With Quote