View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
FromG2Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 5.0, kona, 6MT
FromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to beholdFromG2Z is a splendid one to behold
Default Clearbra and Tint installed, plus Boss Coil Covers

Well, Marilyn got some new goodies. Stupid weather here (I admit I jinxed it...lol) caused me to delay the install until the skies cleared up somewhat. So Thursday last week was the ONLY day of the week that didn't have rain or light snow flurries. Luckily the roads were dry, so I proceeded to go to my appointment to get the clearbra and tint installed. THANK GOODNESS! Now I can finally drive my car on the highway hahahahahaha... with no fear of chips.

Mixed in along with that, I went and ordered the Boss Coil Covers... I was tempted to order the body colored special custom ones, but decided against it. I wanted the Ford Blue to stick out a bit more, esp at car shows, hence why I went with it.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with the clear bra results. My new installer was great. Lines and edges are all lined up. No bubbles. No peeling. It was the best install I've seen (had it done twice in prior cars). The brand was 3M. Lifetime warranty (as long as I own the car) through my guy.

What I had done:

hood

front bumper (I love the 3 piece of this... it ends right on the crease of where the vertical meets the horizontal surface of the front bumper...can't even see it!)

mirrors

a-pillars (custom cut)

front fenders

inner door handles (love this one. No more fingernails scratches from my wife opening the door, or from anyone else for that matter)

Tint was also done by him. We went with Llumar for tint. I like it better than 3M, tint-wise. 35% fronts, then 20% everywhere else. I just love the new look. It totally transforms it.

Only thing about the clearbra install, some minor swirls and marring was unavoidable. He had to wipe and scrape (using his MF towels and silicone blade) to get the film to lay flat... so swirls were apparent in the areas closest to the edge of the film. Also, bless his heart, I believe he proceeded to wipe down certain areas of the car that he thought was dirty. Of course, minor swirling came from that (see my Car Detailing 101 thread for further details as to WHY these swirls happen). But that's ok, I whipped out my buffer, and carefully taped the edges of the film so as not to hit it with it. Just about 4 hours worth of work, and it's all good now.

Anyways, enough of me rambling... here are some pics. Forgive the quality and state of the car, yes it's still dirty with dust and some water droplet dry etches (not permanent) from him doing the install. If you look closely you can see the dirt It will get detailed this week. Tuesday, 61degs for a high... By the way, to ANYONE contemplating ClearBra, DO SO. NOW. That is by far the single, best, AND first mod, you should do. Once you get a rock chip, it's permanent...

Btw, anybody know how to remove swirls from the film itself??? Alcohol wiping is for deeper etches... I know it's on the film and not on the paint, but still, it bothers me.

^^^ This might be my favorite clearbra portion

And here are the Coil Covers pics. Love these too. Install took 5 minutes or less. Worthy eye candy for cheap.

2012 5.0 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6MT, HID, Brembo, 3.73 -- Ordered: 9/20/11, Born on: 10/20/11, Delivered 11/15/11"Marilyn" GT500 mufflers/flaps, MGW shifter, FRPP K springs, BMR panhard bar, Boss coil covers, 3DC spoiler, Llumar Tint (35% and 20%), 3M ClearBra
FromG2Z is offline   Reply With Quote