View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
cheshirecat
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N54 135i
cheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond repute

It takes at least a weekend (2 days). You need to let the paint cure overnight.

I'm not here to take your money man. It looks like you, the Z monster, and hardroc want to get it done- we can get together and have a gay old party where all of us paint our lights and pass out at someone's house after a couple of cases of beer if you want.

My car is my DD also, so i know where you're coming from.

Saturday would be removing the front bumper, removing the lights, opening the lights, sanding them down, primering, and painting. You let the pieces sit overnight to fully cure, otherwise sealing them up prematurely will give a rainbow haze to the inside of the lights.

day two is putting the lights back together, resealing, and reinstalling.

It sounds difficult, but it really isn't. it's just "involved". there's a lot of tedious little things to take care of, but if you take your time and make sure you get it right, everything usually turns out great.

I sent a PM to hardroc about this. but Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Touchup Paint Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup | 888-710-5192 has all types of paints in aeresol cans that you can use to spray the lights. just find the paint code (which is inside your driver's side door jamb next to the rest of the car info) and look it up on that site. order two cans.

also, go to the website for "the retrofit source" and order the halo if you want to do that, along with the clear STI lens, which i strongly recommend.

once you have those things, the only thing left is some black silicone sealant, which you can pick up at autozone, and some rustoleum plastic primer, which you can pick up at home depot. also, i believe oven cleaner will pull the shiny covering off of the plastic pieces in the headlight.

there's no reason to pay out the *** for this. it's better to just do it yourself and learn.
cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote