View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
the_student
Track Member

Drives: '13 LE 4runner
the_student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK370Z View Post
(...) I am seeing members buying PSS more and more. I'm tempted to buy it. but I think I'll hold off on that until next year or so as I will be commuting a lot on the Z still. V12 looks good and have decent review but yes the sidewall seem to be soft.

(....)

there's a local Costco that has RE-11s. but then I have to change all 4s as I was told it's a bad idea to mix tires. Is RE-11 upgrade from RE050a?

I think they are a little softer than RE050a. Yes it'll last longer and probably more quiet but you also lose agility.

Hi. We are in a similar position AK. I popped a rear tire and since I have significant wear in the rear I would have to replace both stock rear tires which would cost $700-$800 depending on where you go and depending if you get a warranty. So I was looking at different prices at different places for tires.

I have had a set of V12's, and they were nice as a daily driver. Quiet, good grip in the rain. They felt really soft to me when new, but as the grease wore off and after a few heat cycles it actually felt like it got stiffer and actually was able to do some spirited driving in them. I didn't push them too much though. Then again, someone wrecked my 09 Z with those tires when they spun out =[.

I was very tempted to get the Michelin PSS as they have been getting rave reviews, but I also wanted to try the RE11, since that tire has a very good reputation with a long history. The PSS has been around for around a year? So it is still relatively new. I feel like the V12 was getting a lot of good reviews as well in the beginning but when I got them, there were a few negatives that weren't often mentioned. So I can wait until the end of this year or next year to get them.

So anyway, the point of my post is I am now getting the RE11 through Costco, which are costing me around $1250 including warranty and mounting/balncing. It is a great summer tire especially if you want to go canyon carving. Bad thing is that it is not a great daily tire and it has minimal tread life lol. Oh well, you only live once. In my opinion, I think you should be getting all new tires unless you are really tight on your budget.

I'll be getting the PSS on the next tire change after my RE11s wear out.

2011 370Z PW 6MT Base/Sport...KW V3/HKS/TE37 SL/Clear Bra
the_student is offline   Reply With Quote