View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
FricFrac
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 300ZX 280ZX 240
FricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to FricFrac

Warning long story ahead....

This is so crazy. I've been a Z car fan since I was a little kid. I've always loved the early Z's. When I turn 16 I have an old beater pick up truck as my daily driver but I start looking for a car and of course I look for a Z car. The Z32 is way out of my price leauge but I've sworn to get a new Z (which happens 20 years later) but to tided me over I start looking for a 280ZXT. There are none that are in good shape so at the same time I look for a 280ZX. I find one and buy her (Kayla) and after a long loving relationship (and some major hidden rust in the front strut towers - evil mechanic previous owner puts the thinest sheet metal over it and undercoats it to hide it - another story)... anyhow long relationship my car is stolen and for the last eight years I've held out until I could get my new Z car. Timing really is everything and the stars and the moon line up and the 370Z is released as I'm ready to buy. I get my 370Z and every day I open the garage and can't believe I actually have it. 20 years of waiting tends to make you either very grateful or very disappointed - mark me down as estatic.

My Dad is a fantastic father but mechanics were never his thing. Trucks broken take it to the mechanic and get it fixed. He's worked hard his whole life and didn't have time for stuff he wasn't already knowledgeable about. So while I'm scored highest at any of the College placement exams in spatial perception and mechanics always intrigued me I never had the oportunity to do any wrenching. My son is seven now and I love cars and thought maybe it would be a good thing to do together and he loves cars to and he's crazy smart. So I start looking for a beater Z to fix up. Then I come across this add last night for a restored 240Z. Of course I start reading and drooling and e-mail the guy right away. I call him today a couple of times but he's working. Meanwhile a buddy of mine who is a serious 240Z nut and an incredible source of information gets my e-mail asking him what he thinks about the car. Turns out my friend knows the guy who has restored this car and tells me not only is this guy extremely talented at restoration but the car has a pretty cool past. I'll post the story once I have it from the horses mouth but basically three friends buy identical 240Z in Seattle and bolt identical performance parts on them. Triple Solex carbs, headers, LSD, etc. They race the cars for a year and two of the guys who are also pilots and are also dare devils try and fly under a bridge clip the tail and crash. This car gets sold and driven around for a short period of time then this one is stored for 16 years. Gets bought by a friend and this guy restores it after almost three years to its current condition. We take it out for a test drive and the thing is basically a 1972 modified track car in its original (if not better) condition - its like a new car. Its a different beast than the 370Z but its amazing in its own right. The L24 just purrs at almost every RPM and the sound of the exhaust and carbs truely brings tears of joy to the eyes!

So the Z guru and I roll back up and there is the owner of the car and another buyer oogling the 370Z. They take the 240Z out for a test drive and come back. The guy who took it out offers to buy it outright asking price no problem (and duh its a mind blowing deal). Now I'm in a pinch. I never make split second decisions in big decisions so I like to think about it overnight. I know I can easily get my money back out but I'm still hesitant to buy it since I just bought the 370Z less than three months ago. I also know this car is rare and I really probably won't see one like this ever again in my life available to buy at this price.... Call the wife to get her to talk me out of it - she says go for it (but we ARE taking the kids to Disney Land next year . I say OK I'm interested now the guy who's selling it who just posted it last night for sale knows he could have asked way more and asks me what I'm willing to offer on the car. I say I'll give you asking price. The other guy says he'll pay $11,500. I say I'll offer $11,500 and now in the back of my head I'm wondering where this is gonna end.... Then the other guy says he'll pay $12K.... now I look over at the Z guru and he shakes his head. My mind is whirling. I tell the owner listen - I didn't come here to get into a bidding war. We were here first and I don't think its fair to be going back and forth. The guy is decent and says yea these guys were here three hours ago and the other bidder agrees so I end up buying this outstanding car for $11,500. I go grab some cash as a deposit and the Z guru and the owner start talking. Oh the car has a five speed which the 240Z didn't come with. So it seems odd that it has a 280Z or ZX five speed when its been setting for 16 years plus another three with the restoration. Turns out the car also has a Nissan Sport super rare five speed. Its going to be interesting to see what other secrets this car reveals....