View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #59 (permalink)
ryan0
Base Member

Drives: 86 Ford Festiva
ryan0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Apparently there's an ideal angle for the belts to be at in the lateral direction. They're not meant to go perfectly straight back, they're supposed to be ~20-25 degrees angled inward. Thus, if the bar is more than a few inches behind the seat, they end up coming towards each other pretty significantly, eventually crossing over each other somewhere around the 18-20 inch mark from the back of the seat. If the bar's further back than that, you actually do cross them over and then strap them down on the "opposite" side from where they originated. Then again while mounting that far back "works", it's more ideal/safe to have the bar much closer to the seat, so that there's less length for stretching/slack.

The idea behind putting something on the bar to limit sideways travel (e.g. ziptied padding) is that you put it on the outside edges to ensure the belts don't move out (closer to straight) while loose between rides. Or in the case that they cross over, you put it between them (since the angle would "come loose" towards the center).

Again, I've never installed one in my life, I'm just getting this from internet research. One of the primary references I keep going back to is Schroth's install guide, which has pretty detailed information on this stuff. See pages 12, 13, 18, and 28 here: http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf.

heh... i think you're getting a little picky on the details..

if you get close to this... you should be fine....

belts level to 20 degrees down from shoulder... slightly closer together (so your HANS doesn't slip through)... mounted as close as you can to the driver...
ryan0 is offline   Reply With Quote