View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
ryan0
Base Member

Drives: 86 Ford Festiva
ryan0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOHN View Post
What are some of you guys opinions on downshifting? Mostly after coming out of a long stretch. Is it ok to skip gears as long as you don't over rev or bind the rear tires? Also if you still go threw the gears is it ok to clutch in once and rev match threw the rest of the gears and clutch out? I do realize that not going threw the gears can wear synchro more. But that's racing/ tracking.

At Road Atlanta for me on the long back stretch I was averaging 135mph with a couple of laps at 140 if Istayed it just a little longer and wanted to brake harder and later which at this point is a slight down hill into a chicane. Well being I heel to toe (pretty good at it) being I don't have SRS. At 135mph and 6th gear coming to the chicane (in which third gear is perfect for this apex) I was braking hard clutching in and holding to I slowed alot then rev match to third which workes perfect for me lap after lap. Seemed so natural. But should I be practicing this differently? I'm going back in two weeks with a bunch of hand notes and want to be ready. I know I need to learn this but interested in your opinions.
I guess it would depend on how your brakes are holding up, how hard you want to stop, and you skills (including dealing with a lot of things at once, at speed)...

id row through the gears just to let the motor do some of the braking, and save some of the brakes.

i would also be willing to bet that you could brake later and stop harder if you use the motor as an aid.

if you feel safer just holding the clutch in and focusing on braking, i'd continue doing what you're doing.
ryan0 is offline   Reply With Quote