View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
370zFORme!!
Premium Member

Drives: 2012 6MT STiffy
370zFORme!! is a name known to all370zFORme!! is a name known to all370zFORme!! is a name known to all370zFORme!! is a name known to all370zFORme!! is a name known to all370zFORme!! is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
If you tell them you added 5 quarts of oil and you do your own oil changes, they will deny your warranty claim for sure.

How long has it been since you did the oil change?

Once, when I was a teenager about 25 years ago I changed my own oil and forgot to put the drain plug back in so all the new oil went in the oil pan with the old oil. I drove it down the block and the oil light was on so I turned back and figured it out quick.

I guess my point is that if you added 5 quarts of oil, you either screwed up the oil change, or someone drained it out to screw with you. Only three ways to get oil out of an engine, drain it, burn it, or leak it. If you were leaking or burning enough to go through 5 quarts you would be smoking like a spy car or leaving an oil slick so huge you and everyone else would know it.

Just keep this in mind, because this is exactly the way the dealer is going to look at it.
Just because you don't know how to change oil (forgetting to put the drain plug back in) doesn't mean others don't know how to change their oil. Also a dealer isnt just going to deny warranty because you do your own oil changes as long as you keep documentation, receipts and change interval records. Just saying..
87' Honda Civic Hatchback: Kaput @ 288,000 miles, 90' Toyota Celica: Kaput @ 175,000 miles, 93' Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4: Kaput @ 138,000 miles, 06' Scion Tc: Traded in @ 64,000 miles, 10' Nissan 370z: Traded in @ 25,000 miles, 12' Subaru Impreza Sti: Current.
370zFORme!! is offline   Reply With Quote