Thread: District 9
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
ZKindaGuy
Track Member

Drives: 370Z-AT7 Tour+Sport
ZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeZKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikuh View Post
Not disagreeing with you on this at all, but this can also be seen as tackling the racism issue as we see the main character go from considering the aliens as inferior beings to seeing them as equals by the end of the movie.
The first parallel I thought the director was trying to lead the audience to is a parallel with the Guantánamo Bay Detention Camp. I think the director was hanging his premise on two things....the detaining of alien innocents and the torture of the camp detainees.

If the director was trying to lead the audience into making this parallel in order to make an implicit political statement about the United States and Guantánamo then I think he stretched the parallel too far as I see the District 9 camp as a "far distant" parallel as the root cause for Guantánamo is a polar opposite.
ZKindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote