Thread: USB Port
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I remember reading that when I had my 4Runner, haha, what a small world.

I actually went with something that had more use to me in the 4Runner - I bought a flush mount cigarette lighter 12v outlet and mounted it in my center console. They sell them at boat/marine shops. I then just got one of those flush mount USB 12v adapters, and it was perfect. It also gave me the option to have an extra 12v just in case needed one.

Browsing Store - 12v S/S RECEPTACLE W/CAP was what I used, bought it locally.

For the USB, I used something like this: Car Cigarette Powered 1000mA USB Adapter/Charger - White (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme Although, I did come across one that actually sat inside the outlet, and did not protrude at all.

I wasn't really a fan of the usb outlet on a switch blank, because I felt that it wasn't clean to have wires running across my dash or anything.

EDIT: If you do decide to just solder a USB cable to an existing 12v source - be warned - you need to step down the voltage from 12v to 5v. Most cellphones charge @5VDC, and may fry if you just go straight to 12v from a USB cable. If you are soldering in a phone charger that was normally a cigarette lighter by breaking it open, you should be fine.

Last edited by Alstann; 02-24-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Alstann is offline   Reply With Quote