Thread: Moroso Oil Pans
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Chuck View Post
Often means cooler temps. When Porsche used air cooled engines before 1998, they used more oil capacity to aid cooling. P cars will run 8-10 qts. of oil even in their water cooled engines of today. I think more capacity would aid in the oil temp issue but not sure how much. Perhaps some folks who know more could chime in. Perhaps Modshack has some ideas or some of the builders who follow this site....

Agree....I've had numerous Porsche's, but one big distinction is that the oil was scavenged out of the sump to a large external tank (Dry sump system) where a certain amount of cooling occurred (as well as a routing through an oil cooler up front). Getting the oil away from the heat source was a big factor. Often air cooled motors are referred to as Air/oil cooled, as oil and air both take heat away from the internals. Engines that rely more on oil cooling typically have a higher capacity. Adding a pan (or a spacer will add about a quart. My oil cooler adds a quart, so you could get up to 7 qts here with both.
I don't think adding capacity can hurt but ultimately a cooler is the best solution as you add BOTH capacity AND a heat exchanger. Adding capacity alone is probably not an effective cure when the heated oil is just going to puddle in the relatively unventilated sump before being recirculated. (though I have vented mine in addition to the cooler)..

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!

Last edited by Modshack; 08-18-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote