View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute
Default Due for differential gear oil change...

Quick search suggests that the consensus preference is 2 qts of Redline 75W90 synthetic.

However, is this oil the appropriate choice for a VLSD???

I was under the impression that this oil is best suited to open diffs -- is this incorrect? I believe there is a variant without friction modifier additives -- would that be better?

Can someone with a good working knowledge of VLSD's confirm that Redline 75W90 (or a variant or another oil entirely) is the correct choice?

Several threads raise these questions, but don't seem to arrive at a clear answer, at least to me...

Also, any difference in the diff for the 7AT vs 6MT -- mine is the auto.

Plan to order needed fluids and gaskets as noted here within the next day or two...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Okay, further searching suggests that the regular Redline gear oil is preferred and that the diff itself is actually sealed (?).

Other suggested alternatives I've found include:

Lubro Moly Gear Oil Syn 75w-90 GL-5 Diff

Richmond Gear Oil Syn 75w-140 GL-6 Diff

Shell Spirax synthetic 75W90 gear oil.

Curiously, NONE of those are the same weight as the factory oil?

Huh?

Er... help?

Last edited by Jordo!; 02-24-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote