Thread: Blind spots
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Set the mirrors as far "out" as you can get.

Set myself to where I can see REALLY well out the side mirrors - this means not having the "gangsta" lean back with the seat all the way back...(and this also prevents you from whacking your head against the back of the roof when you hit a big enough hump in the road)

Then set the passenger seat to where you can see out the portal window.

The combination of side-mirror, passenger-portal, rear mirror checks = safe merge

For driver's side, rear mirror, side mirror, lean forwards and check over shoulder = safe merge.

Also, SLOW merge is better than fast merge...reason being is that you WILL NOT see a bike if they are in the wrong spot.

I discovered this as I almost nailed a bike the other day. As a biker myself, I know damn well enough to be aware of blind spots, and apparently this guy didn't. Good thing I merged slowly, he wouldn't have had a chance otherwise. (this was a merge towards drivers side)
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote