Thread: Karting?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
scottIN
Track Member

Drives: '12 370Z
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1250 View Post
Yea I saw that site, I'll do some deeper reading on it when I get home today. Does the shifting really make it that much more difficult? I'd like it to be as close to real driving as possible. I've driven stick my entire life including dirt bikes and ATVs.

It does sound smart to get used to a single speed first, but I'd prefer to purchase one kart that I can stick with for a long time.

I appreciate the advice!
The deal with a shifter is that you're busy all the time. I think at my track a stock moto does about 40 shifts a lap - and a good lap is 1:02. So that averages out to almost a shift a second. Like I said...you're busy. Here's a good comparison: take the fastest guy in a TaG (single speed, 26 hp) and thrown him in a shifter class (6 speed, 43 hp) and he'll finish mid pack. A shifter will blow by me like I'm sitting still on a straight, but I'll be all over them in a turn.

Also what happens is that you don't learn to drive smooth in a shifter becasue you have enough power to save your butt. It's even true in a TaG. The top guys start out in the slower classes, learn to drive, and then move to faster classes.

Here's a video from NCMP on board a shifter. You get an idea of how much is going on.

Joe Ruch Tag Worlds Final Stock Moto - YouTube

Now...all that said. If you just want something to mess around on, a lot of guys buy shifters starting out and have a lot of fun, but I think every shifter pilot I know that races started out in a lower class. (And you do get the advantage of being called a 'pilot' instead of a 'driver')
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote