View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got The Visor Off.....

So since no one replied to my last question, I decided to tackle taking them off it myself. I used a plastic panel removing tool with a 90 degree bend to act as a lever. Then starting at the side towards the back of the car, started applying pressure. At first I was like, man, I'm gonna totally pop this thing. But then it did come loose a bit, so I kept prying. Then finally, POP, and off it came. The good news is I got it off and 2 of the 3 locking tabs were fine. Bad news the one locking tab in the corner broke a very small chunk off the cover. It's not really a big deal, because I don't think I'll ever even see it. I might try some glue before putting it back on, but I doubt that will hold.

And then the two screws that hold the visor bracket. Holy bejezuz Batman, are those Philips head screws on tight. Like they must have used loc-tite or something because it was all I had to get those 2 screws loose with out stripping the Philips head. But in the end I won. Then it was just a matter of dropping the visor and unclipping the mirror light wire.

So now I have 3 optional plans of attack on this:

Note: All options involve me making a perfect sized template in CAD software and cutting it via computer cutting machine. I have access to these things via work where I use this all the time.

A: Use black 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl to cover the sticker. Now that I have the visor off, and now that I have had my radio trim done with real matte carbon fiber by Tony, I think this is a good option. I have compared the 3M vinyl Carbon Fiber to the real thing, and they aren't too far off actually. And the 3M stuff doesn't blend too bad with the visor either. I think this is a good chance of winning the options race.

B: Scan the visor fabric in and use photoshop and/or illustrator to tweak the color, then print it on our high end pressure sensitive paper stock. This paper handles moisture well, and should hold up goo I think. A stronger option would be to have my nephew print it on auto wrapping material, but I don't really want to bother him with this trivial thing. After cutting, I will just use a dark gray marker to carefully color the very edge of the paper.

C: Same as option B, except just get a good matching solid color gray instead of scanning the fabric.

So that's where I'm at right now with this. Too busy to really get to it right now. Just thought pop in here at lunch to make the update.

Cheers ---- Bonzo

Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote