View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr750 View Post
Which engine are you talking about the 6 cylinder turbo or the 4 cylinder engine. TrueCar.com rates the 6cyl, turbo at 300hp/300lb .

Also note that the 6 cylinder is a 3 liter turbo charged motor, to get it up to the 300hp. Turbo charged motors are not really that reliable in the long run for making high horse power. Most of the time the turbo system gives out before rest of the engine and is very costly to fix.

Also making changes to the mapping with aftermarket chips or tuners can greatly effect the reliability and longevity of the motor. While you can easily change your engine map on most turbo motors and extract a lot more HP, it comes at a price. Often owners who do this, wish they never did it down the road after they experience major break downs or costly repairs, that won't be covered under the waranty.

Also while I will agree that BMW does make some fine cars, but they are also very costly and complex to work on. Replacement parts are about 3-4 times the cost of a japanese or american car for similar parts, and often the way the car is built , you have to pull apart a lot of major assembles to even replace a small item or part. I had a friend that had a late 90's M3 that he paid a $1000 in labor to have a windshield wiper motor replaced.

So good luck on it and its best to get the extended bumper to bumper waranty on this car, if you plain to drive it for a long time and keep that engine stock , its not worth it, to screw around with it.
OP got a 335D, not a 335i. The 335D is a 3.0L i6 diesel with twin turbos. you are thinking of the 335i. and as far as the rest of your opinions on forced induction, like someone else said, they sound like they are based on hearsay rather than experience. as far as reliably high horsepower cars, there aren't many that are not Forced induction. most of the highest hp (1000+hp) cars have TT or supercharged large displacement motors.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote